Saturday, April 16, 2011

Final Reflection

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been 13 weeks! Time really flies by when you are enjoying yourself. I think this course is the only one class that I didn’t feel like I had to drag myself to attend. This of course, is due to the interesting content of the course and more importantly, the awesome people I met in this course!

One of the most important things I learnt in this module is how to craft a good cover letter and a resume. I became aware of the guidelines to follow in written communication (7C’s). The mock interviews we had gave me a taste of how a real life job interview could be.(And also how a S.O.B is like, thanks to JH’s supreme acting skills, haha!) I believe what I learnt would be very useful when I venture out into the working world.

In addition, this course helped me to hone my presentation skills. I did not have much experience in presenting during my 3 years in university, but through the peer teaching activity and OP, I realized that I am able to do it, and it wasn’t as daunting as I initially thought it would be. I am very grateful for all the feedback such that I am able to further improve my skills.

Lastly, I would like to thank Brad for being such a wonderful and inspiring teacher. And also good luck to those having exams next week and all the best to those who are graduating this semester! It’s been a pleasure meeting, knowing and learning from all of you! :)

Till next time!

9 comments:

  1. Hi ST!

    Nice to know and work with you too!

    HT, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stella!

    I find it funny how we are in the same major but only knew each other through this course =p

    The resume and cover letter was most definitely one of the important things and we were lucky to have such a chance to critique and get comments from peers, not just trying to copy some off the internet. Hope this helps you get a job in future.

    Best of luck with your finals and FYP!! WOOHOO! Have fun with R =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stella,

    It was enjoyable interacting with you during class, even though the opportunities were limited.
    I felt that everyone took the course seriously despite playing around outside class (and maybe during) and that allowed us to learn quickly and effectively through the criticisms and evaluations.

    All the best in the FINAL exams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stella!!!

    Its been a great 13 weeks, and having you and Hwee Teng in my project group was really really a very big blessing. I appreciate all the effort you and her put into the project, and love the teamwork too!

    Anyway, good luck for your exams! Maybe can meet for lunch next time in science too =).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Stella!

    I shall repeat once again. I love working with you and Jake! You guys are so wonderful! On a random note, did I tell you before, I feel so surprised that you remember me as Amilyn's neighbour! HAHAHA.

    Anyway, all the best for your final year as a statistics major in NUS. I'm really proud of you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Stella, for this clear and concise final reflection, and for all the accolades. It's always satisfying to me when students like you point out the value of taking the course. But it's especially rewarding when I see them progress through the course activities. A case in point is your own work and development in the last three months. At first you seemed a bit reticent, hesitant to "present" your ideas unless requested. But by the end your were much more forthcoming, and by the time you and your team gave the OP, you exuded much more confidence and gave a stellar performance.

    This is only the start for you, I hope. Keep up the momentum. Take the opportunities when they arise, open up and let the ideas flow. You have so much to offer, don't hesitate to engage the people who need to hear you.

    And all the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ susan (HT): it is a pleasure knowing you and working with you. I just realised there are two HT's in class! you and hweeteng

    @veekay: hahaha, but i've seen you around before in other stats class! i think it's the same for most of the stats people. I know them but i don't really know them? all the best for your finals as well!

    @greg: thanks for ordering the pizzas! despite having limited opportunities to interact in class, i think that you are a friendly, funny person, and you bring so much laughter to the class. good luck for your finals and all the best in your future endeavors!

    @jake: we make an awesome team don't we? hahaha...reminds me of the last class when we are supposed to think of problems we encountered in doing the research project. i love our teamwork, our idle chats and gossiping when we should be discussing about the project instead...yeap lunch sounds good!

    @hweeteng: so do i! i really admire your skills and talent in designing and formatting. without you our proposal and ppt slides would not have been as wonderful as they are. hahaha, and that was in first year when i first know you as amilyn's neighbour. i think what made an impression on me was your big eyes (lol!) and that you were in some pageant back then? but i am so glad to know you better through this module! all the best in your future endeavors! tell me how it went with the sats thingy!

    @brad: thank you brad, for my improvements would not be possible without your constant encouragement and feedback! cheers :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha i realise i always posts after you commented! But anyways it was really a comfort for me as well to have a familiar face in the first day of class! I guess it was a blessing in disguise that we thought ES2007 was an "auto-S/U" module :P

    All the best to you too (and our poor hands to write cheat sheets) and have fun in HK! We can keep in touch on facebook and i'll definitely go have lunch with you guys when I am free :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Stella!

    Thanks for being a wonderful peer teaching group mate! I was really impressed by your presentation as you were calm and composed. I really have to learn from you! Keep in touch!

    All the best in your honours year! :D

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete