Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Application Letter Draft 2

11 February 2011


Temasek Hall

National University of Singapore

12 Kent Ridge Drive

Singapore 119243

HP: 94259264

Email: stella.t@nus.edu.sg


The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS)

Singapore Land Tower #08-00

50 Raffles Place

Singapore 048623

Dear Sir/Madam,


RE: Application for Finance Analyst (Summer Internship Programme)


I am writing in response to the position of a Finance Analyst for the Summer Internship Programme in 2011. I am a motivated individual with a strong interest in the investment banking and finance industry. RBS has a prestigious track record and I would be honored to contribute my talents and skills to the achievement of the firm’s goals.

I am currently in my penultimate year of my undergraduate studies as a Statistics major in National University of Singapore (NUS). Majoring in statistics has given me strong numerical background as well as developed my analytical skills. In addition, I have rigorous training in statistical modeling and programming which can be useful for research-based job scopes.

Furthermore, I am one of the production managers of the ExxonMobil Campus Concerts (EMCC) in NUS. Being a production manager has honed my leadership and time management skills. I also had the chance to interact and work with a diverse group of undergraduates. In addition, I was involved in organizing hall events, such as Cultural Night, and these experiences further developed my interpersonal and communication skills.

During the summer of 2010, I participated in a 2-week China Immersion Programme. This programme gave me an opportunity to explore the local lifestyle and culture. It taught me to be independent in a foreign country, to be adaptable in an unfamiliar environment, to keep an open mind and be sensitive to people who are from different cultural backgrounds.

I believe these are portable skills that I can bring to RBS as a Finance Analyst. Attached is my resume for your perusal. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours truly,



Stella Ting Hai Yin

2 comments:

  1. Hello Stella. I hope you will be able to see this response before printing one out.

    Overall, I think it is a good attempt but just one point to take note though.

    How does being "involved in organizing all events ... further developed" your interpersonal and communication skills? Perhaps you could give a better concrete example to support your claim that you have strong interpersonal skills. (:

    Hope you get to read this! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stella,

    Format-wise, this letter is fine if not for the absence of space before the salutation.

    The beginning of your letter sounds engaging. However, since this is an application for summer internship program, it might be better to not explicitly mention about your current year of studies and major in the cover letter. These information can be spotted by the recipient easily in the resume.

    It would also be good if you could highlight one or two projects to better support your claim about "rigorous training in statistical modeling and programming". It complements your rich co-curricular experience too.

    Hope you would find my comment useful.

    ReplyDelete